A gel manicure typically lasts much longer than a traditional polish manicure—usually two to three weeks. The different from the usual polish is that instead of using water and polish, gel is applied with a light curing system. It starts off as a liquid and then hardens on contact with the special lamp.
Gel Pedicures are easy to do, long lasting and give your feet a very smooth, even finish. Highly recommended by podiatrists and beauty experts alike. They actually eliminate corns, and calluses and give your feet a clean, professional look that last for weeks. Gel Polish is the most popular nail art currently in the market, with so many color and style options to choose from. For women, a gel pedicure is the perfect way to treat yourself. Gel pedicures are a must for grooming your feet as they are often neglected. The best part of a gel pedicure is that they last longer than traditional nail polish and don’t chip as easily (it can take up to 14 days before visible chipping occurs).
Gel pedicures seem to be a part of our culture these days. And there are numerous positives you can get from a gel pedicure. It can make your skin look younger, and they will last longer than regular polish. But there are also some negatives that go along with it. So, if you are looking for the ultimate guide to gel pedicures, you’ve found it! In this blog we’ll discuss all things pedicures including straightening your toes, your options when combining nails with a pedicure and proper nail care to keep your feet looking their best.
What are Gel Pedicures?
Gel pedicures are a type of nail treatment that uses UV light to set gel nails. Gel nails are made from a substance called polymethyl methacrylate, or PMMA. The gel is applied to the nail, and then cured under UV light. This process creates a strong, durable bond between the gel and the nail. Gel pedicures can last up to two weeks, and are much more resistant to chipping and wear than regular polish.
If you are considering getting a gel pedicure, there are a few things you should keep in mind.
- First, gel pedicures require special equipment, so it is important to find a salon that has the right tools.
- Second, gel pedicures can be more expensive than regular pedicures, so be sure to factor that into your budget.
- Finally, gel pedicures require more time than regular pedicures, so be sure to schedule accordingly.
Benefits of Gel Pedicure
- Gel pedicures are a great way to keep your feet looking polished and perfect all year round.
- They’re long-lasting, so you won’t have to worry about them chipping or fading.
- There are a variety of colors and designs to choose from, so you can find the perfect look for your feet.
- Gel pedicures are relatively affordable, especially when compared to other salon services.
- Gel pedicures also provide a natural looking finish, and can actually make your nails look healthier.
- The gel polish can also help to protect your nails from damage, and can even make them look younger.
How to Prepare Your Feet for A Gel Pedicure?
The first step is to gather everything you will need: a foot bath, a scrub brush, pumice stone, nail file, toe separators, cuticle pusher, cuticle nipper, orange stick, base coat polish, top coat polish, and UV light.
- Fill the foot bath with warm water and add a few drops of essential oil.
- Soak your feet for 10 minutes to soften the skin.
- While your feet are soaking, use the scrub brush to exfoliate the dead skin cells from your heels and toes.
You can use this Scrub Brush
About the Product
You need to have these fingernail cleaning brushes, which are highly practical and lightweight. This compact nail brush will greatly help you remove embedded dirt, grime, and grease from your nails using just a little amount of detergent. It can also be used as a pumice stone.
- Next, use the pumice stone to remove any calluses or rough patches.
- After exfoliating, rinse your feet and dry them off completely.
- Use the nail file to shape your nails, then push back your cuticles with the cuticle pusher. Use the orange stick to remove any excess cuticle gel or oil.
Try Out This Nail Filer
About the Product
Take care of your nails with the perfect partner – a glass nail file. This double-sided toughened glass nail file is uniquely etched to gentle file your nails from any angle. The non-porous surface prevents bacteria from growing on the file, so you can use it over and over again safely and clean it thoroughly. It’s super durable, will never rust and come off in your bag like old metal files, even after using it 100’s of times.
Use this Cuticle Pusher
About the Product
Using premium stainless-steel material, this high-quality cuticle trimmer and pusher is super sharp cutting edge and will not rust. The nail cleaner will meet your highest expectations and last longer than cheap alternatives.
How to Get the Perfect Gel Pedicure?
The first step to getting the perfect gel pedicure is to find a salon that has the right equipment. The gel must be applied with a UV light, so be sure to ask about this before making your appointment.
- Once you’ve found a salon, it’s time to get your nails ready for their close-up!
- Start by trimming and filing your nails into the desired shape.
- Next, push back your cuticles and buff away any rough edges.
- Finally, wash your hands and feet thoroughly to remove any oils or dirt.
- Now that your nails are prepped, it’s time to choose your polish. Gel polish comes in a wide variety of colors and finishes, so take your time browsing the options. When you’ve found the perfect shade, it’s time to get started.
- The gel polish is applied just like regular polish, but must be cured under UV light between each coat. The number of coats will vary depending on the color and finish you choose, but most gel pedicures require three to four coats.
- Once the final coat of polish has been applied, your nails will need to be cured under UV light one last time. This step ensures that the polish is completely set and will last for up to two weeks.
- After your nails have been cured, it’s time to enjoy your beautiful new gel pedicure!
Just be sure to avoid activities that could damage your nails, such as using harsh chemicals or picking at the polish. With proper care, your gel pedicure will last for weeks.
What to Expect During Your Appointment?
- When you arrive for your appointment, the technician will start by trimming and filing your nails.
- Next, they will apply a coat of base polish, followed by two coats of color polish. The final step is to apply a top coat of clear polish.
- Once the polish has been applied, your nails will be placed under a UV light to cure the polish. The entire process takes about 45 minutes to an hour.
Different Types of Gel Polish
There are a wide variety of gel polishes to choose from, so take your time browsing the options. The most popular types of gel polish are:
- Shellac: Shellac is a type of gel polish that is applied like regular polish, but cured under UV light between each coat. The number of coats will vary depending on the color and finish you choose, but most shellac pedicures require three to four coats.
- Opi GelColor: Opi GelColor is a type of gel polish that is available in a wide variety of colors and finishes. It is applied like regular polish, but must be cured under UV light between each coat. The number of coats will vary depending on the color and finish you choose, but most Opi GelColor pedicures require three to four coats.
- Gelish: Gelish is a type of gel polish that is available in a wide variety of colors and finishes. It is applied like regular polish, but must be cured under UV light between each coat. The number of coats will vary depending on the color and finish you choose, but most Gelish pedicures require three to four coats.
- Vinylux: Vinylux is a type of gel polish that is applied like regular polish, but cured under UV light between each coat. The number of coats will vary depending on the color and finish you choose, but most Vinylux pedicures require three to four coats.
- Essie Gel: Essie Gel is a type of gel polish that is available in a wide variety of colors and finishes. It is applied like regular polish, but must be cured under UV light between each coat. The number of coats will vary depending on the color and finish you choose, but most Essie Gel pedicures require three to four coats.
No matter which type of gel polish you choose, be sure to follow the instructions carefully to ensure a long-lasting, beautiful pedicure.
Tips to Take Care of Your New Gel Pedicure
Now that you have your new gel pedicure, it’s important to take care of it properly to ensure long-lasting results. Here are a few tips to help you get the most out of your new nails:
- Avoid activities that could damage the nails, such as using harsh chemicals or picking at the polish.
- Also, be sure to moisturize your hands and feet daily to keep the skin soft and supple.
- If you notice any chips or cracks in the polish, be sure to schedule a touch-up appointment as soon as possible. The sooner you repair the damage, the less likely it is to spread.
- Do not expose your nails to water for the first 24 hours after your gel pedicure. This includes activities such as washing dishes, taking a shower, or swimming.
With proper care, your gel pedicure can last for weeks. Enjoy your beautiful new nails!
- How Much Does a Gel Pedicure Cost?
The cost of a gel pedicure will vary depending on the salon you visit and the type of gel polish you choose. Most salons charge between $30 and $60 for a gel pedicure.
- Why do my gel nails peel off after one day?
The reason gel nails tend to peel off after a day is because the nail has been damaged by acrylics or another product in the past, weakening the cuticle and causing it to peel. It can also be caused by poor application or improper curing.
To prevent this from happening, make sure that you use your cuticle oil religiously, as well as moisturizing hand lotion. You can also avoid using acetone-based nail polish removers, which dry out your nails and cause them to peel.
- How often should you take a break from gel nails?
It is recommended to take a break from gel nails every two weeks to give your natural nails time to breathe.
- What happens if you over cured gel nails?
The short answer is that if you over-cure gel nails, they’ll eventually start to harden on their own. This means that you’ll need to be careful when you’re wearing them not to chip or break them, because they’ll take a lot longer to heal. That said, if you don’t have any issues with your nails growing back in time for the next appointment (which most people do), then this shouldn’t pose much of an issue.
Gel Pedicures are quickly becoming a favorite among the fashion crowd and anyone who likes to keep up with the latest trends. To treat yourself, or to get an incredible gift for someone special in your life, try one of these locales. They offer such wonderful experiences that you’ll be planning when you can go back!