There are different ways to remove nail caps on cats. One way is to use a nail clipper to cut the nail off at the quick. You can also use a saw to cut the nail off at the quick. Another way is to use a file to remove the nail cap.
Cat Nail cap removal
There are a few things you will need before attempting to remove nail caps on cats:
-Paint or a marker
When you are ready to begin, first make sure that the cats are comfortably restrained. If the cat is being held in a position where they cannot escape, they will be less likely to struggle and cause accidents.
1. Begin by placing the cat’s front paws in front of their chest, and snap the clippers in place just below the cat’s front nails.
2. Paint or mark the spot on the cat’s paw where the nail cap is located.
3. Go back to the clipper and clip the nail cap off. Be careful not to cut into the skin.
4. Apply a small amount of petroleum jelly to the end of the razor blade.
5. Gently clip off any excess hair around the nail cap. Be sure to remove all of the hair around the nail.
6. Repeat steps 2-5 on the other paw.
Supplies you will need
-Self-adhesive Nail Caps
-Nail Polish Remover
1. Remove the old nail caps. If your cat has standard nail caps, simply clip them off with clippers. If your cat has nail caps with adhesive, first remove the backing with nail file.
2. Apply a layer of petroleum jelly to the fingers of your hand.
3. Apply a thin layer of acetone to the nail caps.
4. Stick the nail caps to your cat’s nails.
5. Let the acetone dry.
6. Remove the nail caps with a Q-tip.
Remove the nail caps from all of the cats’ nails by using a pair of pliers. Hold one end of the pliers against the nail cap and use the other hand to pull the cap off. Repeat with the other nails.
A few tips
- If nails are clipped too short then they may not grow back correctly and may require a vet visit.
2. If nails are clipped too long then they can get caught in carpets, furniture and other objects, which can be quite a nuisance.
3. A few simple steps can help to remove nail caps on cats:
-Start by spraying some of the pet-safe nail trim remover onto your fingers.
-Gently grip the nail between your thumb and first two fingers, and pull downwards.
-If the nail cap is stubborn, use a nail file to smooth it off.
NEVER USE ANY TYPE OF CHEMICAL TO REMOVE NAIL CAPS FROM CATS – IT CAN CAUSE SERIOUS INJURIES.
1. If your cat has healthy nails and you want to remove the nail caps, gently file down the nails until they are smooth.
2. Gently push a small, blunt object beneath the nail cap and pop it off.
3. Repeat on all four nails.
4. Wipe the nails clean and apply a topcoat if desired.
If you are considering removing nail caps on your cats, be sure to follow the directions carefully to avoid injuring them. Start by cutting the excess nail with a sharp pair of scissors. Clean the nails with rubbing alcohol or acetone and then soak them in a solution of hydrogen peroxide and water for a few minutes. Be sure to rinse the nails well and apply a coat of a nail polish remover to the base of the nail. Let the nails dry completely before applying a new coat of polish.